What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Woman Dies After Eating Raw Mushroom in Sushi Roll

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark

What are your thoughts?

A Montana woman who suffered a prolonged and painful death after eating poisonous mushrooms from China at a sushi restaurant spent her final days telling her loved ones, “I’m not sure I can go on much longer,” her heartbroken husband has revealed.

Donna Ventura, 64, fell seriously ill with food poisoning just one hour after consuming a roll filled with salmon and the morel mushrooms at a local restaurant, Dave’s Sushi, last April, KBZK reported.

She spent the next two weeks desperately clinging to life in the intensive care unit at Bozeman Deaconess Regional Medical Center as the toxins from the mushrooms slowly destroyed her liver and kidneys.

Ahh its not that it was a raw mushroom...its that it was a poisonous mushroom. So why did this food place serve mushrooms that could fucking kill you?

a poisonous mushroom
But.............IF it was correctly identified???
Morel mushrooms are perfectly edible and not poisonous.

Last edited:
But.............IF it was correctly identified???
Morel mushrooms are perfectly edible and not poisonous.
So, then.....I just ran across THIS! (LINK)

-Mar 16, 2024-

CDC issues warning for morel mushroom seekers amid foraging season

Morel mushrooms have been linked to at least two deaths and dozens of sicknesses.

A new warning was issued after morel mushrooms were linked to at least two deaths and dozens of sicknesses.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention released a report as Oklahomans get ready for the yearly tradition of harvesting these mushrooms. Now, experts said they want anyone "hunting" morel mushrooms to eat them safely.

"It's not surprising," said Stephen Marek, an associate professor of plant pathology at Oklahoma State University.

The mushrooms were linked to a deadly outbreak in Montana last year. The CDC's report said at least 51 people got sick.

Three were hospitalized, and two died after eating morel mushrooms at a restaurant.

"We don't really know what makes you sick from morels if you eat them raw," Marek said.
The professor said what makes this case unique is that the illness was linked to actual morel mushrooms, not the lookalikes that can be toxic.

"There are a set of false morels that have a known toxin. But a lot of mushrooms, if you eat them raw, are going to make you sick," Marek said.

It was determined that the morels consumed in Montana were shipped in from overseas and not prepared correctly.

"They thought they could just treat it like some sort of super fresh meat, and they could do a raw salad with it or something. That is what got people sick," Marek said.
The CDC said the people who died had pre-existing conditions.

If anyone is looking to forage these mushrooms, Marek said they need to make sure to cook them fully.

"Even the ones around here, they will get you sick if you eat them raw," Marek said.

If correct precautions are taken, Oklahomans can enjoy the hunting season.

"Start looking! Get out to your honey holes, as they call them, and harvest on," Marek said.

The peak time to search for morel mushrooms is now through April.

That's why I won't go mushroom hunting. Best to buy tge regular mushrooms at the grocery store.
Probably the best idea, IMO; but some of the trusted "wild mushroom cult" has brought me some wild Chanterelles that had a unique & wonderful taste. So, I never have, but understand the obsession to get out there & 'hunt'. :cool:

I would probably die if I ate a mushroom, poisonous or not.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom