What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Will Hardline Republicans Seek Revenge On Speaker Johnson For Recent Foreign Aid Bills?

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) Will far-right Republicans seek revenge on Mike Johnson for Ukraine, surveillance votes?
When the House gets back to work today, may find out whether Marjorie Taylor Greene’s push to remove Mike Johnson as speaker has any momentum.

The Georgia congresswoman made the proposal more than a month ago, after the speaker worked with Democrats to pass government funding bills that Greene objected to. In the weeks since, he has again worked with the House minority to pass legislation approving aid to Ukraine and Israel, and reauthorizing a controversial surveillance law.

Greene has continued tweeting her fury, but has not picked up much explicit support for removing Johnson so far. The only other lawmakers who have publicly signed on to the push are Kentucky’s Thomas Massie:

And Arizona's Paul Gosar,

When Kevin McCarthy was ousted as speaker last year, it took the votes of eight Republicans (a group that did not include Massie or Green) and all Democrats. While such a coalition could still come together among the GOP to boot Johnson, it would run up against another problem: Democrats may not be interested in removing from office a speaker who worked with them to pass government funding and foreign aid bills, both priorities for Joe Biden’s allies.
Politico has attempted to get a sense of just what Marjorie Taylor Greene plans to do, and when she plans to do it.

They report that many senior House Republicans think Greene will ultimately drop her effort to boot Mike Johnson from the speaker’s chair, which drew a strong denial from a staffer to the Georgia congresswoman.

“That’s absurd,” her deputy chief of staff Nick Dyer told Politico, while declining to elaborate on when Greene would act.

He added: Anyone who is saying she is backing down is high, drunk, or simply out of their mind.

An apt description of MTG and her merry band of jackalopes...
Maybe, but when used in mainstream news it just means they support something they don't like. Obama circa 2007 during his campaign would be labelled far-right by today's standards.

As far as this is concerned, though, it's only pertaining to spending what we don't have in other countries and illegally throwing out the 4th amendment to surveile without warrants. That is why it is humorous, the author is trying to make out those who oppose these two specific measures to be bad people with slurs.

Maybe, but when used in mainstream news it just means they support something they don't like.
I know what I'd like to say about MTG but I value my freedom way too much to go there. :whistles: :whistles: :whistles:

*continues* I'll put it to you like this, @NeoMetallix: back when I started following American politics in the early 90's someone like MTG would've been primaried out of her seat by the powers-that-be from Speaker Gingrich on down through to her district's GOP apparatus. Unfortunately, we've so gerrymandered and partisinized things that the only thing she fears is a challenge from her right and given the politics of her district.... :shrug:

*continues* I'll put it to you like this, @NeoMetallix: back when I started following American politics in the early 90's someone like MTG would've been primaried out of her seat by the powers-that-be from Speaker Gingrich on down through to her district's GOP apparatus. Unfortunately, we've so gerrymandered and partisinized things that the only thing she fears is a challenge from her right and given the politics of her district.... :shrug:
Well I wouldn't say I agree with much from her but on these points, it's spot on. Her district probably wants her because we've seen too many Republican's vote exactly how a Democrat would on important issues. Social issues don't matter to a populace that is struggling to pay for food. The country is INSOLVENT.

The dummy Republicans and Democrats voting on more foreign aide are voting us closer to collapse.

The country is INSOLVENT.
south park beat a dead horse GIF

That horse is well and truly dead, Neo.

(The Guardian) Greene accuses Johnson of 'slimy back room deal' for Democratic support, hints at forcing vote on motion to vacate
In response to House Democratic leaders’ vow to oppose her effort to remove Mike Johnson as speaker, far-right congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene hinted she may force a vote on the matter. “What slimy back room deal did Johnson make for the Democrats’ support?” the Georgia lawmaker asked. She continued: If the Democrats want to elect him Speaker (and some Republicans want to support the Democrats’ chosen Speaker), I’ll give them the chance to do it. I’m a big believer in recorded votes because putting Congress on record allows every American to see the truth and provides transparency to our votes.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

That horse is well and truly dead, Neo.
It's not though because congress and the majority of Americans don't understand what's happening and have normalcy bias. "Oh things have been this way for a long time and things will stay the same." No. No it will not stay the same. They think debt is infinite.

It's not though because congress and the majority of Americans don't understand what's happening and have normalcy bias. "Oh things have been this way for a long time and things will stay the same." No. No it will not stay the same. They think debt is infinite.
On, I don't disagree with you on that; problem is you can't simply blame one side or the other for this.

Are there going to have to be deep structural changes made? At some point, yes.
Question is "how do you get there from here in the least intrusive way possible?"

On, I don't disagree with you on that; problem is you can't simply blame one side or the other for this.

Are there going to have to be deep structural changes made? At some point, yes.
Question is "how do you get there from here in the least intrusive way possible?"
You cannot! Both parties are to blame but it started way back when the removed silver from the monetary system and got worse as time went on.

I think we are too far gone even if someone wanted to fix things and had support from congress. The best thing you can do is look out for yourself and your loved ones.

You cannot! Both parties are to blame but it started way back when the removed silver from the monetary system and got worse as time went on.

I think we are too far gone even if someone wanted to fix things and had support from congress. The best thing you can do is look out for yourself and your loved ones.
Well, we have an answer to the question I posed in the thread title....

(The Guardian) Greene says she'll demand vote on removing Johnson next week
After a lengthy denunciation of Mike Johnson, Majorie Taylor Greene said she will call for a vote on her motion to remove him as speaker of the House next week.

“Next week, I am going to be calling this motion to vacate, absolutely calling it,” Greene said.

She indicated she thought the vote would hurt vulnerable Democrats: I can’t wait to see Democrats go out and support a Republican speaker, and have to go home to their primaries and have to run for Congress again, having supported our Republican speaker, a Christian conservative, I think that’ll play well. I’m excited about it.

And also be a pain for Republicans she disagrees with: also can’t wait to see my Republican conference show their cards and show who we are. Because voters deserve it. Is the Republican party … have they finally learned their lesson? Have they finally heard the message from voters back at home? Are they willing to actually fight? Are they going to just keep going along to get along? Because it’s really easy to do that in Washington DC.
Greene said she thought voting on the motion to remove Johnson, which at this point does not appear to have enough support to succeed, would help Republicans maintain their slim majority in the House after the November elections: I’m gonna tell you, at over $34tn in debt, with millions and millions of people invading our country and an economy that I don’t even know how is staying afloat because every business owner I know has been suffering, and people fed up with the drama on television and fed up with the fighting and fed up with the bullshit from Washington DC, are ready for a Republican majority that’s ready to support President Trump and his agenda in January of 2025. And I’m happy to deliver that vote for everyone next week.

(The Guardian) Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene will meet privately with the House speaker this afternoon, CNN’s Haley Talbot reports. Greene, Talbot said, requested the meeting.

The reported summit comes as Greene is pressing ahead with a removal vote against Johnson, who is all-but certain to survive with the help of Democrats. Greene has been vague on when exactly she would trigger the motion.

During the meeting, Johnson will conceivably try to persuade Greene of what he has argued publicly: that the vote won’t end in his removal and is only likely to inflict further political damage on their already turbulent majority.

Even though Johnson’s job is likely safe, for now, remaining in power with the help of Democrats is only likely to make hardliners angrier, fueling their grievance that he has abandoned his conservative principles since becoming Speaker. Only three House Republicans have publicly stated their support for Johnson’s ouster, it is possible that number could grow if Greene forces a vote.

Johnson has tried to turn attention away from the party’s infighting by focusing on an issue that unites his members: fury toward the college campus protests.

Johnson is as bad as Pelosi and Ryan. I feel like he is being blackmailed.
Or he realizes (a) that he has to represent all 435 members and not just his 1/2-seat majority and (b) so long as there is a Democratic Senate, nothing MTG and company want will ever see the light of day.

Or he realizes (a) that he has to represent all 435 members and not just his 1/2-seat majority and (b) so long as there is a Democratic Senate, nothing MTG and company want will ever see the light of day.
He needs to do what is right for America. Passing warrantless spy bills and endless war money is not that. Funny how Democrats are for that after lambasting Bush(rightfully so) for the Patriot Act and Iraq.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom