What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Uber & Lyft

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

Debate question: Are ride-hailing companies a benefit to society?

Why or why not?

Wondering Deep Thoughts GIF by Pudgy Penguins

I suppose so. Some say they are putting taxi cabs out of business but its also creating work and income for the people who drive uber/lyft. Its also super convenient for a consumer like me to just do a few taps on my phone and a car magically appears to take me wherever I want to go. No need to stand out in a street trying to flag down a taxi. If you're in a remote area... good luck.

A lot of people where I live use Uber. Seems to work so I guess they would be a benefit.

I mostly use Lyft, and it's not by my personal choice 99% of the time. I use a medical transport concierge- if they can't get a regular medical transport company for me, they hire lyft. xD

Rideshare services are 100% beneficial to society. The whole argument of "they put taxis out of business!" makes zero sense when you realize the people who utilize Uber/Lyft never used taxis to begin with. I live in a big area, and you rarely see taxis. Taxi company and drivers are just jealous that Uber/Lyft are more prevalent and accessible. I don't drive, so Uber is amazing for me, and it's a great experience! I've met older, wonderful people who are retired, but doing it [Uber] for fun and have stories they want to share, and then I have folks my age who do Uber as a side hustle.

Theyre reliable but they're expensive as hell and thats why I almost never use them.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom