What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Member or Staff?

On most forums I prefer to be a member unless I really like that forum and then I might want to do more by becoming staff and taking on a much bigger role.

It depends on the forum myself, I don't mind helping out on staff if I have the time but if I don't I'm content being a member.

I rather just be a member. With that said the few forums where I am a staff member and I am very happy to be.

Last edited:
My own forum? A staff member, I think. ;)

Most other forums? Probably just your everyday average member so I don't have as many responsibilities. I don't mind being a staff member in a few select communities, but for most communities, I feel better suited just to be a member.

Regular member on forums I don't own. If I didn't have my own forums I'd be a staff member elsewhere though.

Regular member on forums I don't own. If I didn't have my own forums I'd be a staff member elsewhere though.
If I had more traffic over at the C2, I'd ask you to become staff (@Jewel's already a mod there!).

It's a toss-up; either way is good for me. :coffee:

I am staff on a forum now. I would rather be a member at times. Easier to walk away if you're feeling the need to. And I did on another site where I was a moderator for a couple years (but not a forum mod, it was one of my writing sites and I was reviewing and approving content). Even on the site I admin, I have been trying hard to focus on being a sysadmin (doing fixes, upgrades, tweaks to styling, and such) and leaving other stuff to the other staff.

So in general, I prefer to be a member. Can focus on enjoying the site. Even as an admin, I too often get sucked into stuff, esp. given we are a bit short-staffed right now.

I am staff on a forum now. I would rather be a member at times. Easier to walk away if you're feeling the need to. And I did on another site where I was a moderator for a couple years (but not a forum mod, it was one of my writing sites and I was reviewing and approving content). Even on the site I admin, I have been trying hard to focus on being a sysadmin (doing fixes, upgrades, tweaks to styling, and such) and leaving other stuff to the other staff.

So in general, I prefer to be a member. Can focus on enjoying the site. Even as an admin, I too often get sucked into stuff, esp. given we are a bit short-staffed right now.

Did you upgrade to the newest xf version? .15 or something?

Are there any changes to any of the templates?
I had four templates needing merges but three were fixed when I loaded a new version of my base style (Font Awesome+ from PixelExit). The other was one I had modified myself. Ended up having to remove my change (a small one), merge, then re-apply my change. Not sure why it wouldn't let me just merge.

Back when I was younger, I would have preferred and loved being a staffer. It gave me a sense of belonging. Now that I'm older and been through the rigamarole, I prefer not having the extra responsibility and just being a contributing member.

Much rather prefer to be a member. Whenever I see forums with an excessive number of staff membres, usually their announcements section is all about adding / firing staff - worse turnover than the local burger place.

On the one hand I might make a good mod as I possess writing skills and am well informed etc. On the other hand I have a low tolerance for B.S. and can be easily provoked. I do believe one ought to be easy going and diplomatic in order to be a staff member. I may be the former, (to a point) but am lacking as to the latter.

So it's best for me to remain as a simple member.:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I’d rathe not be staff as it is really hard to be “normal” while being staff.

I thank everyone for saying member.

I'd prefer to be a normal member but I created my own place to avoid some drama with someone, so... :D But if things were different, definitely a normal member.

I think it depends on the forum to me, as well as the people who are on staff. If I'm comfortable enough with the staff members that I'd be comfortable asking them questions while I get used to things, I don't dislike being staff- after all, I get to help a site I probably really enjoy.

On other sites, though... I'd rather just be a member. Especially if I'm still not used to the site or just generally not comfortable with the people yet anyway, it'd feel silly to be staff. xD

I have no time for mod duties. So I prefer member.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom