What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Food and childhood memories?

Randy

Aw, awww!
Thread Creator

Are there any foods that remind you of childhood memories?

What are they?

What memories do they bring up?

when I was about four, my mother made me some sausages

that night, in bed, I remember a news show being on (like a panel show), and also feeling extremely hot.

after the show ended, I kept being sick and throwing up.

for the longest time after that, I thought I must be allergic to sausages. I remember not eating them for years after that.

another memory I have is at our local supermarket, they used to do these things called butter rolls which my mother would always by
it got to the stage where I was scared to visit that supermarket, because I hated the things. i'm like noooo. not the buttered rolls!. please!

Cereal naturally reminds me of being a kid because I at A LOT of it. Now its a rare treat.

since I posted last night, I've come up with another one

I was around 9, and I had a takeout pizza. on the tv, there was some reality show (singing contest, I think) and it was the last episode

I spent the evening crying, not really wanting to touch my pizza. the person I was with was like what's wrong?. why are you crying. it can't be because the show is ending, you don't even watch this hsow you've never watched this show

I literally was like I don't know, I'm just really upset for no reason what so ever

Hm... Brisket with stuffed cabbage. I don't eat it much... but it'll always remind me of my grandma.

Also latkahs. Whenever I think of them, I think of my friend Tina- who would follow me to Synagogue in middle school just for free latkahs. xD

For me, many of these are associated with Easter. One that standout is the walnut cake my mother used to make during that time of year.
Here's a picture I made a long time ago. I don't make them often these days.
oRwjuJcl.jpg

Fresh Figs; right off the tree. :)

hot dogs and gyros! i was very picky as a child, and Chicago loves their hot dogs loaded but i would only ever tolerate plain with ketchup, and they would just absolutely grill me for that. but i still would get it every time, they also had gyros at this one place i'd go to which were really good. it's funny to think back on as now i'm not that crazy picky anymore. generally, food hasn't tasted as good as it did in IL for whatever reason but maybe i just miss living there. it was a fonder time in my childhood before things became terrible, or at least before i became aware of a lot.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom