What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Fav childhood book?

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

What was your favorite childhood book?

Why did you choose that one?

When was the last time you read it?

book GIF

Alligator Smiling In The Sawgrass
by
Ira Ironmonger
Cute, silly, weird & I thought the author's name was really strange. :D
Not lately :p

51CpsyHlZ6L.jpg

Childhood book? Probably Charlotte's Web or Scrub Dog of Alaska.

Most impressionable was A Day No Pigs Would Die.

I don't know if there's a single favourite book from my childhood. These are just some of the books I loved growing up (and still do):
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery
Kazan the Wolfdog by James Oliver Curwood
The Secret Garden by Fraces Hodgson Burnett
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Silver Chief, Dog of the North by Jack O'Brien
The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

One that comes to mind is "Scrawny the Classroom Duck" by Susan Clymer. It's probably not well known it was one of those small books you could get from these book fair catalogs when I was in grade school. But always loved it.

d84d32e48941c2605e66cd05006bd843.jpg

I can't remember when I first read it, but the last time was probably like 3 years ago.
I just really like the world it's set in and all the characters.

It depends on what counts as childhood. I can't remember if I was a preteen or a teenager when I first started reading the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy... I think I might have already been in my early teens at that point, since I remember how long the Dragonlance book was that I read when I was on that ski trip at age 13 with my aunt (it's memorable because my aunt was in shock after I finished a 400+ page book in under a few hours just laying on the couch in the "cabin: we borrowed from her sister for the trip) and looked up the three books in the trilogy... considering the first one was the one I found had the right amount of pages, it was probably that one. Either way, Dragonlance as amazing. I will not forget it.

If we're talking really little kid though... I forget the title, but my favorite children's books were this series about a penguin who would ask a basic question and the book was giving the answer to the question. My favorite was about how rainbows are made.

I was always a bit ahead of my age reading wise. Startled a teacher in grade 7 (I think it was 7 and not 8 based on which teacher it was) by reading H. G. Wells at that age (I bought a set of four of his novels to read on a trip). The War of the Worlds remains one of my all time favourite novels. Several other all time favourites followed in grade 8, like The Lord of the Rings and Dracula.

But younger than that, I don't recall a lot of specifics. I think I was already reading a lot of non-fiction (somewhat under the influence of a great aunt who was a retired teacher). There was a series called How & Why Wonder Books that helped engage my still ongoing interest in science. The ones on Dinosaurs and Atomic Energy were especially influential and had I gone into the sciences, it would have been either paleontology or physics. I think I started reading those while still in elementary school.

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak is one I recall enjoying. I was fond of Dr. Seuss, I think (I still love poetry today). I know I read some abridged classics as early as grade 5 or 6. Stuff like Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (admittedly, I probably read that one because I was a fan of the Disney movie version starring Kirk Douglas and James Mason). I think I first encountered Roald Dahl through a teacher reading the Charlie books to the class somewhere in the grade 5-6 range and then later got and read them myself (I loved Great Glass Elevator, actually).

In the end, I became an avid reader for many years but have some kind of weird block right now that makes it hard for me to get very far in novels anymore, even as I write fiction of my own.

I dunno if anyone remembers the Goosebumps books but I used to read those as a kid. Never really had a favorite though.

I used to really enjoy the Animorph book series when I was kid growing up in the 90's and early 2000's.

animorphs.jpg

I dunno if anyone remembers the Goosebumps books but I used to read those as a kid. Never really had a favorite though.

I used to like em till one or two of em freaked me out as a kid. I remember tossing one of the books I was reading at night in the hallway away from me. XD

I used to really enjoy the Animorph book series when I was kid growing up in the 90's and early 2000's.

animorphs.jpg

I never got too into it but read a random book of it once. It was pretty cool.

Speaking of books like that used to be huge on The Babysitters Club Little Sister spinoff series. I used to have a good portion of the books. Used to love American Girl too. Kinda regret getting rid of those ones.

i was obsessed with shel silverstein's books! i had the whole collection.

x600.jpg

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom