What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

England Set To Pick Up Additional Champions League Berth in 2024-2025 UCL Campaign

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

@PGen98, good news for merry ole' England.... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
(*adds deadpan* Unfortunately, no Argentines were asked for an opinion.... ;) :LOL: )

(The Guardian) Good news for Premier League clubs with European ambitions: it’s probably going to be even easier to qualify for continental competition next year. Indeed, it’s getting increasingly hard to avoid. Essentially, if Arsenal or West Ham win their quarter-finals, against German opposition, an extra Champions League spot should be a done deal. Paul MacInnes reports: English clubs are set to clinch a fifth Champions League spot next season, with Uefa analysis suggesting a 90% chance that the Premier League takes an extra place ahead of the Bundesliga.

An expanded Champions League format from 2024 means two places are to be given to sides from countries who have performed the best in Europe over the previous season. Uefa’s coefficient table has Italy top, with Germany narrowly ahead of England in second place. But West Ham’s emphatic victory over Freiburg may well prove decisive in tipping the scales in England’s favour.

Before the quarter-final stages of Uefa’s three club tournaments, England is the equivalent of a single draw behind Germany in the coefficient table, calculated according to points awarded for performance and divided by the number of sides who started the season in competition. England began with eight teams and Germany seven, but after West Ham’s passage at Freiburg’s expense, Germany have three teams in quarter-finals while England have five.

Two. They will never have that one legitimized in my mind. Ever.
*continues* And given America's history with England (and by extension, the UK) its' hardwired in us to root for the underdog, the cheat, the neer'do'well..... ;)

Diego who?
Happy Diego Maradona GIF by FIFA

“un poco con la cabeza de Maradona y otro poco con la mano de Dios,” (“a little with the head of Maradona and a little with the hand of God.”)
;) :hug:
I had to pick on you there, darling, I had to... ;)

*hugs both @Nebulous and @PGen98* Genny babe doesn't like Diego Maradona so anytime I can poke at her with it I can and will.
Mothers Day Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

But I love the both of you anyway, so its' all good fun. ;)

Oh @PGen98?

The Guardian: Dortmund win ends Premier League hope of extra Champions League spot
Borussia Dortmund’s win at home to Paris Saint-Germain has confirmed that the Bundesliga, not the Premier League, will get an extra spot in next season’s Champions League.

England’s slim hopes of overhauling Germany in the Uefa coefficient rankings have been extinguished and the Bundesliga’s top five finishers are guaranteed to play in the Champions League. Only the top four clubs in the Premier League will participate.

Dortmund are certain of a slot along with Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Stuttgart and Leipzig. If Dortmund finish fifth and win the Champions League, the team who finish sixth – currently Eintracht Frankfurt – would also qualify. “We wanted to qualify for the Champions League through the Bundesliga and not this way,” the Dortmund’s coach, Edin Terzic, said. “But the fact that it will be enough to qualify as fifth is also partly down to our success, our contribution.”

In the Premier League, fourth-placed Aston Villa are seven points ahead of their closest challengers, Tottenham, who have two games in hand. The first of those comes at Chelsea on Thursday night.

Uefa made two extra Champions League spots available for next season’s new-look 36-team tournament and Italy had already secured one. Those places have been determined by clubs’ performances in all three European competitions this season.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom