What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

CNBC: "Something strange has been happening with jobless claims numbers lately"

DrLeftover

Forum Curmudgeon (certified)
Elite Member

• Most of the past several weeks have shown that first-time claims for unemployment benefits haven’t fluctuated at all — as in zero.
  • A string of weekly reports showing exactly 212,000 initial claims has raised a few eyebrows on Wall Street.
  • A Labor Department spokesperson noted that while the string of 212,000 prints on the jobless claims data is “uncommon,” it can be attributed to a consistent jobs picture reflected in seasonal adjustments to the data.

They wouldn't be fudging the numbers with their "seasonal adjustment" to help with Biden's campaign would they?

For a long time I have felt like "somebody" is cooking the books with these numbers.
Also with "new employment".
I wonder how many of the "new" jobs are minimum wage, burger flipping, etc. jobs replacing higher-wage lost blue collar jobs.

For a long time I have felt like "somebody" is cooking the books with these numbers.
I wonder how many of the "new" jobs are minimum wage, burger flipping, etc. jobs replacing higher-wage lost blue collar jobs.
Last month ALL of the new jobs were part time jobs. It looks good until you look at that and see that more and more people are working two jobs.

And also giving up because they're not being paid a reasonable wage to survive out there. People gotta have a roof over their head, food to eat, etc. All of this diarrhea talk of "no one wants to work" pisses me off. Yeah, people want to work. They just want to be respected and paid enough to live, not scrape by (if that, even).

And also giving up because they're not being paid a reasonable wage to survive out there. People gotta have a roof over their head, food to eat, etc. All of this diarrhea talk of "no one wants to work" pisses me off. Yeah, people want to work. They just want to be respected and paid enough to live, not scrape by (if that, even).
Thank you deficit spending! The biggest reason why purchasing power goes down.

Last month ALL of the new jobs were part time jobs. It looks good until you look at that and see that more and more people are working two jobs.
Every administration to some degree cooks the books;' the job numbers are only as good as the info they're getting from states and given how some states are, I'd kind of wonder if they're fudging the numbers going up to D.C.

They just want to be respected and paid enough to live, not scrape by (if that, even).
The flip side of that is that wage costs (especially legally-mandated wage increases) are a major expense of businesses, in particular small businesses.

This would explain, among other things, the rise of self-service kiosks in fast food restaurants and so forth; businesses are simply not going to pass on costs to the customer at a certain point (something the living wage crowd didn't think through).

The flip side of that is that wage costs (especially legally-mandated wage increases) are a major expense of businesses, in particular small businesses.

This would explain, among other things, the rise of self-service kiosks in fast food restaurants and so forth; businesses are simply not going to pass on costs to the customer at a certain point (something the living wage crowd didn't think through).
It costs a lot to bail out companies and give them extra money and tax loops that will never actually go to the employee, too. Oh, and don't get me started on the amount of bloat many companies claim is necessary to run a company, giving millions to fuck holes who sit in comfy chairs and make decisions that actually affect the lives of the people who do the real work. Can't wait to help my hospital administrators line their pockets and afford that 5th home they'll only visit maybe twice a year!

It costs a lot to bail out companies
And most of that goes to large businesses who don't frankly need the support.
and give them extra money and tax loops that will never actually go to the employee
*points to first comment* Ditto there as well.
Oh, and don't get me started on the amount of bloat many companies claim is necessary to run a company
Oh, I used to work in the grocery business, Dee babe; I got plenty of stories concerning bloat in the above-store-level ranks to fill an entire section here...
make decisions that actually affect the lives of the people who do the real work.
Get more involved in the political process; don't let elected officials get away with the things they do. And when they don't enforce the laws on the books (looking at you Mayor Wheeler for allowing Anitfa to run riot in the City of Roses!) toss 'em aside and elect people who will enforce the laws on the books. Laws, Dee, are only as good as the willingness of those in power to enforce them; when those laws are either not enforced or selectively enforced (the vast majority of J6'ers fall into the latter group here) then there might as well be no laws.

And most of that goes to large businesses who don't frankly need the support.

*points to first comment* Ditto there as well.

Oh, I used to work in the grocery business, Dee babe; I got plenty of stories concerning bloat in the above-store-level ranks to fill an entire section here...

Get more involved in the political process; don't let elected officials get away with the things they do. And when they don't enforce the laws on the books (looking at you Mayor Wheeler for allowing Anitfa to run riot in the City of Roses!) toss 'em aside and elect people who will enforce the laws on the books. Laws, Dee, are only as good as the willingness of those in power to enforce them; when those laws are either not enforced or selectively enforced (the vast majority of J6'ers fall into the latter group here) then there might as well be no laws.
Just because someone is in office doesn't mean everyone voted for them. I absolutely do take part in local elections as those matter much more in my day to day life. And please come actually live in Portland before you talk about what's happening here instead of regurgitating what Fox News tells you.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom