What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Annoying members

Olivia

Tell me about it
Thread Creator

Have you ever come across members that were annoying?

How did they annoy you? Did they annoy other members in the community as well?

If this annoying member follows all the rules and is technically not doing anything wrong, how should this person be handled? Just ignore them?

I think everyone has good days and bad days. I don't really come across anyone that annoys me 100% of the time. However when they are being annoying I will just not engage.

I think everyone has good days and bad days. I don't really come across anyone that annoys me 100% of the time. However when they are being annoying I will just not engage.
When I get too annoyed by, annoying members literally make me facepalm a lot...at least 20 times a day.

Repeating things over and over annoys me a lot, if it's by the same member.

Repeating things over and over annoys me a lot, if it's by the same member.
Some people need to hear things multiple times before it gets into their thick head! :p

Some people need to hear things multiple times before it gets into their thick head! :p
That's for sure. I don't like repeating myself in public...as I just said it.

In all of my time across different platforms, yup.

Yes they did. Let me name off the list.

*Attention seeking
*Bashing other members
*Complaining about everyone being against them
*Throwing themselves a pity party
*Trolling
*Overly dramatic. Creates unnecessary drama
*Their opinion is absolute

Clearly these people did not follow the rules. My own personal solution is hitting the ignore button. But if someone is following the rules and continue to be annoying, just ignore. Seems saying something to them will just add to the problem.

In all of my time across different platforms, yup.

Yes they did. Let me name off the list.

*Attention seeking
*Bashing other members
*Complaining about everyone being against them
*Throwing themselves a pity party
*Trolling
*Overly dramatic. Creates unnecessary drama
*Their opinion is absolute

Clearly these people did not follow the rules. My own personal solution is hitting the ignore button. But if someone is following the rules and continue to be annoying, just ignore. Seems saying something to them will just add to the problem.

I wish we had an ignore button for the real world :D

Being annoying is not against the rules on most forums. It's best to just deal with them and tolerate them as best you can. I get they can be annoying to you or others on the forum. Sometimes it's best to have a PM talk with them, and perhaps see if they get or see this.

Being annoying is not against the rules on most forums. It's best to just deal with them and tolerate them as best you can. I get they can be annoying to you or others on the forum. Sometimes it's best to have a PM talk with them, and perhaps see if they get or see this.
Some forums take the easy way out by using trolling as a reason in a loophole to get rid of them.

Sometimes it’s just easier to take shortcuts and hit the ban button although not all annoying members are trolls.

Some forums take the easy way out by using trolling as a reason in a loophole to get rid of them.

Sometimes it’s just easier to take shortcuts and hit the ban button although not all annoying members are trolls.
I think it is best to just try to have a convo with them. Sometimes people may act a certain way, and not realize it can be an issue or problem. Just banning somebody right away for being annoying isn't good. I'd at least encourage the owner or a mod to have a PM convo about it the person. If from there they continue, then perhaps reminding them again of this behavior a second time will be the final straw. I don't encourage banning people outright anymore even if they do things you don't like or agree with. Forums already have few members as it is.

I think it is best to just try to have a convo with them. Sometimes people may act a certain way, and not realize it can be an issue or problem. Just banning somebody right away for being annoying isn't good. I'd at least encourage the owner or a mod to have a PM convo about it the person. If from there they continue, then perhaps reminding them again of this behavior a second time will be the final straw. I don't encourage banning people outright anymore even if they do things you don't like or agree with. Forums already have few members as it is.
Yeah or even calling someone out for being a troll can be triggering especially if done out in the forums and the person has a learning disability or something

Me! ME!! Right here!!

<-- Me!!

Super annoying member, right here ;)

Yeah or even calling someone out for being a troll can be triggering especially if done out in the forums and the person has a learning disability or something

I feel for people who have learning disabilities and mental illness issues to deal with but at the same time it doesn't excuse bad behavior, lowering morale in the community or making everyone else uncomfortable.

I do agree that they shouldn't be called a troll, a tactful staff can address concerns without name-calling the member in question.

I feel for people who have learning disabilities and mental illness issues to deal with but at the same time it doesn't excuse bad behavior, lowering morale in the community or making everyone else uncomfortable.

I do agree that they shouldn't be called a troll, a tactful staff can address concerns without name-calling the member in question.
Of course there should ideally be some understanding, but of course everyone has a different tolerance level for the amount of leeway allowed; this leeway should be extended to all members though, not just the disadvantaged, to prevent this from being seen as or in some cases actually being special treatment. Lowering standards for some members and not others leads to lower morale for sure. Consistent standards should be upheld to avoid resentment as well as to not discriminate against members who don't want to reveal their challenges.

I don't know whether I like the excuse if I'm honest as it's not necessarily the member's fault if they inadvertently cause issues. But certainly everyone's needs are equally important and it wouldn't be fair on the staff if a lot of time was taken up in moderating a member. In such cases moderation action can be seen as protection of the community's resources, as opposed to punitive action. Just like how the real world works - sometimes people expect too much from you and that's not necessarily anyone's fault, as I understand mental health can really lead to irrational thoughts, feelings and attitudes and access to therapy and other support with adequate training on different needs is not sufficient, and such options may not be effective for all types of needs, but at the same time it shouldn't be your responsibility to put up with someone else's problems to the point where these problems become yours and you can't cope.

Bumb

Someone called me annoying about talking about forum members too much. Then they send me a warning.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom